School Sports Premium
PE and Sports Grant
The Government is determined to secure a significant and lasting legacy from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and to develop children’s enjoyment of sport and physical activity from an early age. As a result, the Prime Minister announced in 2012 £300m of funding, nationally, over 2 years, for primary school age PE and Sport. This has been successfully continued and schools are benefiting from an annual grant - the amount is variable depending on the size of school.
The purpose of the grant is to fund improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of pupils aged 5-11 years old, so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles. In 2018-19 the Education Funding Agency (EFA) agreed a final allocation of £17,710 for Upton Westlea.
In terms of impact on pupils, school believes that the following are true:
- Pupils are becoming physically fitter
- Pupils have improved mental wellbeing
- Pupils have had experience of sports/ activities they would never normally have come across e.g. street dancing etc
- Pupils have improved aspirations
- Pupils enjoy and participate in high quality P.E. lessons due to improved equipment and an exciting P.E. scheme of work
- Pupils experience the competiveness of sport due to Intra and Inter competitions.